Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Update from New York

The last few days have been indescribable. They are wrapped around two weeks containing several 'anniversaries' related to the last month of my mom's life... It was a year ago last week, after learning mom was sick, that Gail and I spent a week with Mom and Dad and my brothers and sisters. It was a year ago Sunday, the day after we returned home to Georgia, that mom went into the hospital for what ended up being the last month of her life and it was a year ago today that Gail and I returned to NY to spend our last days with her. On that day we met Dad and brothers/sisters at a local diner and the last few weeks have had me reflecting a lot on losing mom but also reflecting on her amazing life and my amazing family. I remember so clearly sitting in that diner, so scared and yet finding peace with this amazing group.

That said, I must return to my initial statement: "The last few days have been indescribable." In part because of the memories of last year, but sadly, it is made worse because of what happened THIS weekend. As I was walking into church for our 9:15 service, I happened to check my cell phone, which I rarely do any time after 8:00am, and I saw that one of my sisters had called. The timing scared me as I knew she'd not likely call at that time unless something was wrong. I tried to check the message and due to the limited service in the building, the message was cut off. I was out of time so I headed to the stage to make some announcements and then ran outside to check the message. "Dad has had a major heart attack" was the message.

I got my sister on the phone, got some details and informed her that I did not know how to respond, so I'll go ahead and freak out. I informed Gail and eventually the church and soon Gail and I were on the road, again rushing to NY to visit a parent in trouble. I began to wonder which of my brothers/sisters was having this nightmare and why did I have to be included in their terror, reliving the worst moments of our lives. I even pinched one of my brothers to try and wake him up to end this horror.

It did not work.

So here I am, sitting in a hospital waiting room with many emotions and realize I've left a bunch of amazing friends in Georgia with little information so here is where we are:
  • Dad is very strong and fighting a good fight.
  • He is in an induced coma to help him rest while on a ventilator
  • There is an infection that NEEDS to go away
  • His Blood pressure is good without medicine - a BIG DEAL!
A few prayer needs:
  • His oxygen levels to rise
  • His infection and fever to be ELIMINATED
  • His blood sugar to get where it needs to be
  • For him to get free of medications that are affecting his kidneys
  • For me and the brothers/sisters to have strength and wisdom
I'm out for now.

3 comments:

  1. Gus, Gail, and family,
    You are being held up, supported and loved from Maine. The Irvington High School days are far behind us, but the friendship that was forged there has crossed those years. I care about you all, and am sending love and strength your way. May you all feel serenity, love, peace and faith as constants during this time.
    With love,
    Liz Carroll

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz! So well said, the miles and years fade in times like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to know what to say here, but just wanted to send my love and let you know that I'm thinking about all of you and praying for my Uncle Dave. Thanks for keeping us informed Gus and despite the nature of the information, your writing is really beautiful and helps deal with the situation. Thanks, I hope for good news to come. Wish I could be there. Take care, much love.

    Alex

    ReplyDelete